Monday, October 27, 2008

Deer Hunt! The Adams family gets 6 out of 10!


So the hunt was very fun and very successful this year. We had a total of 10 deertags this year. Opening morning Joe bagged his 4 point, followed by Trinna getting a 4 point. They came back and we admired their kills. I didn't go hunting that morning and stayed back at camp with the kids. So that evening Joe wanted to show me where he got his deer. We hopped on the 4-wheeler and took a gun just in case, although I wasn't really planning on hunting much since Joe already had his for the family. Dad Adams was generous and said he'd sit with the baby for awhile. About a 10 min ride down the hollow behind camp I spotted two deer on the hillside about 60 or so yards up. After carefully observing them, (the horns weren't very big and wanted to make sure I wasn't shooting a doe) took the shot. I watched the deer fall and it started running/falling down the mountainside. We started the hike up to find it before it hid itself. As I was stopping for a rest, (didn't have much time to get in shape after having the baby) I heard a noise in a bush and saw the deer poke his head up. Of course he had to go and lay in a pokey bush that we had to drag him out of. Good thing I was out of shape or I wouldn't have stopped for a rest and we might have hiked right on past him. The bullet had struck him through the hind quarters. I gutted him and then dragged him down the mountain while Joe took the gun down and went to get the 4-wheeler closer. It took all of an hour to hunt a deer that I wasn't really even looking for. But it was exciting and fun. The next evening Karen and Jon got their 2 points. And then another 3 point for Jon's family the next morning. It was wonderful weather and a fun time was had by all. 6 out of 10 is a record set for the hunt!
Hyrum and his cousin Wiley get to have their birthdays on the hunt and both turned 4! They were born a day apart and are best buddies. They had a fun party together!

4 comments:

Shari and Trent said...

Congrats Autum on a successful deer hunt! Looks like you had fun and you will have lots of meat now!Yum, deer meat!!!

Jana and Taylor said...

Congrats on the new little guy. He is so cute! Jeanie doesn't have a blog, but I've been trying to talk her into it since she has a new baby (her first), and since she lives in the middle of no where. I don't even have her email address. Thats sad, but I will get it for ya. I hope all is well.

Schofield's said...

That is so cool! I am just amazed by you going hunting and getting a deer withing a couple weeks of having a baby!!! You're amazing. :)

FishinFamily said...

Well congrats, I think! Just kidding. I know it's the whole circle of life but gosh it's emotional. His big brown eyes...oh nope, I'm not cut out for hunting. :) See you in a few weeks. :)