Saturday, October 11, 2008

Deer Hunt, Here We Come!!

I've been spending lots of time this last week getting us ready for the deer hunt.  It's always a huge project, but this year especially since I have a newborn to care for. (I know that you are all thinking that I must be nuts to take a 2 and 1/2 week old on the hunt, cause that's what everybody tells me. But just for the record, my camp trailer is just as nice, (or maybe even nicer) than my house. And I'll have everything that I need.) 
The deer hunt is always hard to plan for because we never know what the weather is going to be like.  We have to prepare for snow and shine, wet and dry, etc.  I've had to get out all of the snow clothes to find out which kid still fits in last years, and which kid needs new.  Which this year, Hyrum needed new and Clara has upgraded to Hyrums hand me downs.  Averee, thank heavens, still fits into hers. Then the trickiness of finding the right sizes at stores that are just barely getting snow stuff in is another story.  Many trips to several places and I finally have something suitable for Hyrum to wear.
Both Joe and I drew out tags this year, including every adult in the Adams family, totaling 10 tags for the southern region.  We go down to Richfield and head up to the top of the mountain there. It will be fun to see who can bag a deer this year. 
Last year I was planning to get a new rifle, cause I had just been using one of Joe's before. But, out of the blue my brother Ammon asks me if I want one of his guns, cause the poor guy just has too many guns and doesn't use this one much anymore.  So he gives me a Savage, bolt action, 30.06.  All I had to do was dress it up with a new scope and strap.  So, thanks Ammon!  That saved me a bunch of money!
I love the deer hunt because it's like a big reunion for the Jensen side of Joe's family.  The cool crisp air, and the smell of the sage brush are wonderful, and the red and gold leaves on the mountain are beautiful.  Not to mention, it's a huge adrenaline rush to shoot at a deer. When you see one with horns it gets your heart just a pounding! 
We are leaving on the 15th and coming back the 21st, so I will update then! Until then, here's a photo of me and my first deer that I shot 2 years ago.  A 3x4 and a pretty nice kill I would say.

4 comments:

Josh said...

I don't care how nice your trailer is, I still think you're crazy. You should have been a pioneer.

Tiffany said...

My husband wishes I was more like you! Have fun :)

Shari and Trent said...

How fun! I can't wait for the update!

April said...

Hey Autum~I'm leaving you a comment so you know I actually read your blog and that I don't hate you!! LOL The deer hunt looks so fun! Congrats on your new little one too! See ya at Bunko! Oh and I now have a blog too!!