Saturday, December 6, 2008

Popping sound..not so good

On Thursday I was getting the kids ready to go do some Christmas shopping with my little sister Angel.  I just needed to get Clara's hair done and then we could all go.  She doesn't like to have her hair done.  She has my tender head.  But I'm always as soft as I can be when I do her hair.  I grabbed her hand and was walking her to the bathroom when she decided she wasn't going.  She did the classic 2 year old collapse to the ground move.  That's when I felt and heard a loud "POP" sound.  She immediately started screaming.  I knew something was wrong.  She wouldn't move her arm at all.  So off to the doctor we go. Our regular doc is out of town so we went to a new one in that office. I felt just terrible as I tried to explain to the doctor what happened... hoping the word "abuse" wouldn't come up. The doc said she had "Nursemaids elbow" or "Nanny's elbow."  It's a partial dislocation of the elbow.  So I had to hold Clara tight while she popped it back in.  Clara didn't like that.  Good thing it wasn't our regular doctor cause I don't think she'll let that doctor touch her ever again.  The doc tells me that it is a very common injury for toddlers and it's very easy to do. That made me feel better. Cause I swear that I wasn't getting even for the cutting she did on my couch.  So we get it x-rayed to make sure it's in the right place and that's that.  She's still not using that arm much, but she hasn't complained about the pain as much today -Hope it continues to improve.

3 comments:

Erin said...

My sister Lara had the same thing happen with her son Colter last year. My brother Alan also had that happen to him when he was around 2. They were both fine once they got their elbows popped back in. Not a fun thing to have happen though. I know Lara and her husband felt horrible when it happened to Colter. I hope Clara's arm feel better quickly.

SWillmoreFamily said...

Thats funny cause that has happened to Addie not once but twice when she was like two. Crazy how there body works sometimes. I am glad that everything is ok.

Hiatts said...

Kaitlyn had this same thing happen to her and i felt exactly the same as to the doctor not reporting me for abuse. love it! at least it is a common thing!