
I'm gonna do things a bit backward and mixed up on my updates cause Joe has some of the pictures I need on his computer. So I'll start with what I have till I get them.
Last Saturday night we had the Christmas Tree Fire. It was the biggest number of trees yet. For those who don't know what I'm taking about, let me explain. After Christmas, we start to collect the Christmas trees that people have put out to be picked up. We load them onto trailers and haul them out to the west desert and pile them all up and burn them all at the same time. There's quite a history to this. Joseph and my older brother Amasas and their friends started this way back when they were in high school. Well, Joe has kept the tradition alive every year since then except for the 2 years he was on his mission. The Tree Fire of 2002 was actually our first date. And that's when I knew that this guy was for me. The fire's awesome power's spoke to me or somethin'.....or maybe Joe just spoke to me...either way...the tree fire is somewhat to blame for me and Joe getting hitched. Anyway, that time we had 85 trees and I thought that was amazing...well, each year we've tried to top the previous year. Well, this year we broke the record with 400 trees! With the Adams family, the Thurston's and the Carter's pitching in to find and haul out trees it was huge! We have perfected the lighting procedure by dumping gas on the trees and then shooting the pile with a flare shot from a shotgun.(which is way more safe than the old way-lighting a trail of gas.) I'm sure that if some officer of the law saw it we'd all get ticketed. But we feel pretty safe since our friend Charlie who has been coming for years is a cop. We had a great time in the zero degree weather! Burning on one side and freezing on the other. In all these years of winter camping I still haven't mastered rotating perfectly. The kids had a blast roasting hot dogs and marshmallows and playing in the snow. Here's a video clip of the lighting of the fire. The lighting is the best part! And having a fire is a great way to get family and friends together!
3 comments:
That is AMAZING! 400 trees?! (Mine is still sitting out front along with a few of my neighbors..you'll know for next year where to find a few more.) That is so awesome!!
That is really cool! What a great tradition.
Wow! That is a lot of trees! That sounds like a really fun tradition.
Post a Comment